Followers

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

The Role of Social Media During Storms

As Hurricane Elsa is swirling just offshore the Tampa Bay area, with heavy rains and gusty winds already spreading inland, I am keeping an eye on it and learning some interesting facts. Did you know that the last time Category 1 Hurricane made landfall on the west coast of Florida in July 134 years? The landfall is predicted north of Tampa Bay sometimes on Wednesday morning. 

It should not severely impact the area where I teach (Wesley Chapel) but that area is under Tropical Storm Warning. I am on the opposite coast, in St Augustine, for the summer but some inclement weather is expected here as well, with thunderstorms and winds 20-30 mph, with gusts around 40 mph.

As I was searching for information, I came across this article:

Ulvi, O., Lippincott, N., Khan, M. H., Mehal, P., Bass, M., Lambert, K., Lentz, E., & Haque, U. (2019, December 10). The role of social and mainstream media during storms. Journal of Public Health and Emergency. https://jphe.amegroups.com/article/view/5543/html.

Did you know that Twitter is the most widely used social medial tool for storm information? Facebook is also popular. Then they mention Plurk... What is it? Never heard of Plurk! Of course I had to check it out. Here is a link, if anyone is interested: https://www.plurk.com/portal/

Weird... Should I start plurking? Yes, that's what you apparently do here. It looks fishy so I think I will delete my account.



ss

1 comment:

  1. I did not know that Twitter was the most used tool for storm information! That is interesting! I am amazed sometimes how quickly we can access information and how easily we can connect to a community of other people experiencing the same event with a hashtag

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!

Sample Instructional Module

Sample Instructional Module (c) 2021 Tatyana Pashnyak