Followers

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

This week, we are discussing networked learning activities. My post is a bit of a stretch and a bit long (skip to the networking part, if you like), but I will give it a try.

My school system has a program that allows employees to earn up to $200 for the annual physical and then two phone consultations for healthy habits, like weight loss, stress management, etc.  It's a great perk since one of the benefits is free HMO health coverage and so there is no charge for any clinic visits.

But... Ha-ha, you knew it was coming, right? That $200 goes on a debit card that is managed by mynetspend.com. Not sure why this awful company has been selected... surely $200 could be added to paychecks? Who can fathom the murky waters of bureaucracy?! My card has expired and apparently sending a replacement card automatically, like most card companies do, is beneath this company. I got a call from our human resources and was asked to get a replacement card, so my reward can be deposited. 

So I naively thought, no big deal, will just take a few minutes,  and called the phone number provided... and entered my card number... "Your card is invalid. Please call back later." Phone disconnected. What the....?! 😑Called back, thinking maybe I entered the card number incorrectly... "Your card is invalid. Please call back later." Phone disconnected. 😑😑

Dialed the third time... selected an option (the only other option) for Lost/Stolen card. There was a stern warning not to select this option if I have the card. I ignored it. 😜 After about five minutes, got someone on the phone who insisted that I need to go through the automated system to verify who I am. πŸ™„ Silly me agreed... "Please enter your card number." OK "Your card is invalid. Please call back later." Phone disconnected. 😑😑😑

Dialed the fourth time... went straight for customer service... waited another five minutes... "I will connect you to the automated system to verify." "NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Surely there is a better option..." "No, you must use the automated system." "Your system does not work." Repeat several times... Exasperated, I asked for a supervisor. Waited about 15 minutes... "You must use our automated system." "Surely there is another way..." "Yes but you failed the validation with my employee." "What validation? Please allow me to validate with you." "You must use our automated system." "Didn't you just say that there is another way?" In a robotic voice, "You must use our automated system." Beyond exasperated, I just disconnected. 😑😑😑😑😑

Dialed the fifth time... went straight for customer service... got another customer service rep... Lo and behold, this one was pleasant, knowledgeable, and was able to process my card replacement in just a few minutes. I told her about my experience and she apologized. I asked to speak to her supervisor, commended her for great service, and reported other employees. 

Out of curiosity, I Googled this company's ratings... Ready? One -- yep, 1 out 5. Some comments? "I have nothing good to say about this company." "Absolutely horrible!" "Despite frustrating communication with illiterate employees, I have not been able to get help." "Customer service is a joke!" "If I could give a zero rating, I would." "I hate your company." 

Now for the networking part... Networking is an important part of our lives as we often make decisions based on information gleaned through networking and make choices on whether or not join (or remain in) the network. In this class, we mostly focus on learning through networking but there are wider implications, as illustrated by my example. 

Many of us are working on creating our own repositories of resources this week. While our project is not focused on popularity, just technology application, I am still thinking beyond this class... why do people come back to certain repositories of resources and not the others? I think it is because of quality. Thus my business example... Online ratings can make or break the company.

What are your thoughts on this?


2 comments:

  1. Hi Tatyana, what an awful experience! I am glad you were able to solve it in the end. Whenever I have to go through automated systems, I always try saying "speak to a human" or "speak to a representative because I just want to speak with a human being (it doesn't seem like a lot to ask, but it is for some companies). That is a great question. I was taking a quick look at my Twitter analytics tonight and was trying to figure out why some posts were so popular, but others were barley discovered (in terms of impressions-how many times your tweet is viewed). I noticed that the tweets where I used popular tags and taqged others received more attention. I agree that quality is a driver, but I think first, you need to draw people in/to your resources.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!

Sample Instructional Module

Sample Instructional Module (c) 2021 Tatyana Pashnyak