Followers

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

My Knowledge Sharing/Tracking Project Background


This project is a small thank you to my Mom, who has always been by my side. She is also an amazing culinary magician who can whip out delicious treats. Please join my Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/173684861407705. Thank you so much!

I have grown up in the former Soviet Union, with both of my parents working hard but barely making enough to raise the family, due to the communist policy of equal pay for anyone, regardless of their effort. Most of the time, the only way to get something was to bribe someone with something they wanted.

My Dad was able to get a plot of land to build our house because of his amazing carpentry skills. He helped an official and was granted a land permit. He then built the house, with his own hands, from foundation to the roof. It has taken several years and we lived in a small trailer in the meantime. Because of our own plot of land within the city limits, we were able to grow all kinds of vegetables and fruit in the backyard: potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, eggplant, squash, apples, cherries, apricots, pears, peaches, grapes, raspberries, strawberries, etc. We were also raising chickens, ducks, and even a pig! Because my parents worked all day, all of the chores had to be completed early in the morning and late at night. I can't even imagine how hard my parents worked...

Yet, Mom always cooked delicious breakfasts and suppers, mostly using homegrown ingredients because grocery stores had limited items and were expensive. For example, one of the famous Russian salads (will post recipe soon!) requires canned sweet peas. It was a luxury and finding a few cans was difficult! Can you imagine that? I sure can't... That's why this collection of recipes is a special tribute to my Mom's hard work and ingenuity for making do with whatever she had, with delicious results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!

Sample Instructional Module

Sample Instructional Module (c) 2021 Tatyana Pashnyak