Followers

Monday, June 7, 2021

Monday Reflections on my Renovation Adventures and Technology Applications

UPDATE: He finished by Wednesday, woo-hoo -- he is amazing! 💗

My Dad is replacing the old ugly carpet in two bedrooms at my house this week, with this beautiful hardwood flooring: 


Technology Application #1: I used user ratings and comments to select this product.

After ripping out the old carpet, he discovered a bad leak... and it went downhill from there... Turns out, the leak is in the wall and possibly the ceiling, as this room has an adjacent bathroom and there is another bathroom upstairs, above this room, so copper pipes and potential corrosion. Why do plumbers use copper pipes anyway? Like, duh?! It's 2021 so surely there are better materials? Ah, don't get me started as plumbers are still insisting on commodes with wax rings...

Technology Application #2: I went to my Facebook local community group with a problem and asked for solutions (crowdsourcing, ya'll). Community members shared their own experiences and suggested I get a quote for replacing all of copper piping and recommended plumbing companies.

Technology Application #3: I checked several recommended companies for Google reviews as well as searched other companies with high ratings. Then I began calling... and my mood grew darker with every quote... Over $5,000 to replace a few pipes, in a few hours, seriously? That's a lot more than monthly gross pay and I have been teaching for 20+ years, so my salary is above average. Maybe I should forget teaching and open my own plumbing company. Based on the waiting time, they sure are busy.

Since I don't have this kind of money, Dad will attempt a DIY repair tomorrow.

Technology Application #4: YouTube video that shows how to replace copper pipes. Enjoy! 👀😁



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!

Sample Instructional Module

Sample Instructional Module (c) 2021 Tatyana Pashnyak